Happy Halloween from JiJi and MIND Research Institute!
In case a JiJi jack-o-lantern stencil and spooky ST Math games were not enough for your Halloween classrooom celebration, here's a free halloween math activity!
See the directions below on how to adjust the math concepts for concepts in grades three through six.
Paco Monster Math Activity
You may recognize Paco Monster from the pre-k and kindergarten games Quantity Sort and Order Sort.
Quantity Sort game in ST Math Early Learning
This Paco Monster is a bit more sophisticated. Like the sorting games, Paco will only eat quantities from smallest to largest. But this time, Paco has accumulated an unknown amount of candy and it's up to your students to help Paco eat the goodies in the right order!
Paco Monster Activity Materials:
- A printer and copier.
- Crayons or colored pencils.
- (Optional) candies or manipulatives to respresent candies.
Paco Monster Activity Directions:
- Download the color version or black and white version of the activity.
- Print one copy first for your master copy.
- Fill in the values for the number of candies and the weight of each type of candy (repeated addition or multiplication).
- For more advanced students, you can mark the axis with the weight of the jars by 5 or 10 (instead of 1) and use higher numbers for the number of candies and weight of each candy.
- For more advanced students, you can fill in the total weight for each jar of candies and the number of candies and ask students to find the weight of each type of candy (division).
- Another way to create more advanced problems is to add various units of measurement.
- Create copies for your students. Ask them to find the remaining information, graph the total weight and mark which jar will be eaten first, second and third.
- Add physical manipulatives (candy) if you're already incorporating some candy into your Halloween celebration at school.
- Share online with @JiJiMath on Twitter or post to the JiJi Math Facebook Page.
Example of completed Paco Monster multiplication activity.
Happy trick or treating!